Thursday, February 21, 2013

Performance Blogs


From Theo Zucker (Bob's Mom):
It is hard to believe that this is my last blog entry for bobrauschenbergamerica. Though we have only been working on this production for a month, I have gone through such a transformation in this short time. This four week journey has taught me more than I ever knew there was to learn about theatre, art, and humanity. I am more grateful than I can say to Donnie Mather, my cast and crew mates, Charles Mee, and Bob Rauschenberg. All have helped me learn to appreciate art in all its forms and to respect others’ views of the world, regardless of my opinions or tastes. 
For four weeks, I have been in a state of bliss. Viewpoints training, choreographing the show, and getting to know my character deeply have left me with a feeling of unadulterated joy. I have walked with an extra spring in my step, no matter how tired I have been. I am the happiest I have been since coming to college. Miraculously, I feel that I am finally finding a home here. I owe that to Bob. 
My only regret for this play is that we will not be able to share it with more people. I know that this production is important in ways none of us can understand. It has helped each of us heal differently and has brought us all true, pure happiness. 
There is something magical about bobrauschenbergamerica. It speaks to the human in all of us and shows us that, while we are indeed all part of a larger picture, each individual is also vital to the whole. Each person loves and hurts and dreams. This production does the impossible. It shows us un-expressible emotions. It helps us feel indescribable feelings. 
I cannot describe how humbled I am to be included in this beautiful experience.  I hope that everyone who sees this production is, in some way, healed and touched by it as we are with each performance.  As Carl so wonderfully says:  "I don't feel shame in my joy."
- Theo


From Mollie Murk (Phil's Girl):
The final leg of our run has arrived. Reflecting back on this experience awakens a full range of emotions from sheer joy to sorrow that it will soon come to a close. I have grown so much from being a part of bob in so many ways, but the one that stands out the most to me is my confidence in myself, my castmates, this play, and the power of theatre as a whole.
I think that part of being human is struggling with self-confidence. Through bob, I have found a new faith in myself that I never had before. It could have something to do with the fact that I am parading around the stage in a swimsuit for the whole show, but I really think it comes from the support I have had from Donnie and the cast since we started rehearsals. The first day I had to wear my swimsuit, I was terrified. Our costume designer did a fantastic job of finding a flattering, comfortable, and modest suit that allowed for a lot of movement, but it didn't take away from the idea of wearing very little clothing in front of the whole cast, crew, and eventually the audience. However, as I finished my first scene, I realized that I had found a place where I didn't have to be self-conscious anymore. Phil's Girl's ability to wear a swimsuit reminded me of the free spirit in all of us, and helped me find that in myself.
Another thing that has helped my confidence grow is the biggest change we have encountered this week: the audience. They are the vital piece of the puzzle that was missing. We have gotten rave reviews and some incredibly interesting comments in talkbacks, which truly mean the world to us with such a bold play. Each time someone has complimented bob or explained something in the play that touched them, I have come to understand that it is a beautiful thing to take a risk. When I look at my fellow actors onstage, I can't help but feel immensely proud of them for the distance we all have come since being cast in bob. I think I speak for the whole cast when I say that as a unit and as individuals, we have been transformed. I look at theatre now as a method to reach out to people, and tell stories that need to be told. When I reflect on my time spent with bob, I can't help but think of some of Allen's words from the play itself:
"What we did: we thought it was, at that point, urgently necessary to do that. But I don't know why that is. In any case, it all happened and it's very hard to see how it could have gone otherwise. But the place itself was fascinating, especially for a scientist engaged in the work...It was dangerous...it seemed very responsible, it demanded all our attention, and we worried a great deal about what was happening ...But, meanwhile, it was a beautiful place."

Allen is referring to his work as a scientist, but I believe his words apply to our work as actors. We did worry about how people would receive the show, but it was a piece that absolutely need to be done. All of our hard work paid off, and we can admire the ways it will touch people in the audience. The little world we created is a beautiful place. I now have confidence that this play has the power to change people, because I know it truly has changed me for the better. Thank you for your support in this outstanding adventure.
- Mollie


From John Haga (Phil):
I’m just going to start with WOW that one word seems to describe most of my feelings for this play and this experience. This has been amazing pulling all of this together in the short period we had. Working with Donnie and all of my fellow cast and crew has been such a journey we have had our ups and downs but we all pulled through and we did it together. The sense of community that has been created from this play is like nothing I have ever experienced before. The way all the different parts and nuances come together to form this play is amazing, you can look at all the parts individually and say  there is no way that would work, but then you put them all together and you have something that is so beautiful and wonderful. I have to say this is a once in a life time experience and I regret that it has to end. “There is an end to everything, good things as well” -Geoffrey Chaucer
- John

From Jesse Swatling-Holcomb (Wilson):
I really want to participate in this final blog, but I find that I am at a loss for words. “Bob” has left me speechless. Our audiences have left me speechless. We have had the blessing and privilege to chat with audience members at a talkback after each of our performances. The talkbacks are led by Hope faculty members, but they always ask the to join them on stage. It’s interesting – we, the cast, spend an hour and a half onstage showing this world of our creation to groups of friends and strangers, and then we sit there, and contemplate together. What I am excited about is that we have people who join us in contemplation. Our work is inspiring thought; and not only regurgitation of the cast’s ideas, or Donnie’s ideas, but brand new, exhilarating, amazing original interpretations that blow my own interpretations out of the water! This sharing of ideas completes the circle for me. I have ideas, I show them, and in return I get ideas back. This is a genuinely beautiful thing, and has been a gift of this entire process. Three more shows. I can’t wait to see where we end up.
- Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment